Real Estate Concerns
- When real estate issues arise they can be daunting.
- Remember, you are not the first widow to face this situation.
- It is always recommended that you consult an attorney and licensed real estate agent when dealing with real estate issues.
Choosing a Real Estate Agent
- You are in a vulnerable state, and you need unemotional professionalism at this time.
- Be cautious when considering a family member or relative who is an agent – they may also be grieving the loss of your husband, and you may react differently to grief.
- Sometimes relatives think what’s best for you is what would make them feel better, when in fact, that is not what is best for you at the moment.
- There is power and freedom in being able to separate your emotions from the work being done on your behalf.
- It is always good to be able to say “no”, or “not now”, without having to worry about offending the person representing you.
Real Estate Issues
- If the issue involves the risk of missing mortgage payments due to the loss of your husband’s income, contact your mortgage holder immediately and explain the situation.
- Most mortgage companies prefer to work with you to be able to keep your house rather than lose it.
- Have an open mind to alternative payment plans and options.
- If possible, try to avoid having financial issues determine whether you stay in your house or not.
- It is best to wait at least one year before making a decision of this magnitude.
- It is always best to make the decision on your terms, rather than the mortgage holder’s terms.
If You Decide to Sell
- Your real estate agent will help you put your best foot forward, including staging, making needed repairs, understanding market conditions, and the best time to sell.
- If any, or all, of these are not proactively addressed by your agent, or if you feel rushed or pressured to sell your home, you should find a different agent.
Real Estate Agents – Minnesota
- Bill Hartman & Patti Walerius
- Company: Re/Max Advantage Plus
- Location: Maple Grove
- Phone: Bill Hartman 612-719-5425
- Phone: Patti Walerius 612-508-4356
- Lane Larson
- Company: ReMAX
- Phone: 651-402-7297
- Rob Monson
- Company: ReMAX
- Phone: 612-770-8593
There is power and freedom in being able to separate your emotions from the work being done on your behalf